OBJECTIVE OF THE POSITION
The Director of Retail Store Operations is tasked with ensuring that all U.S. domestic JAMES PERSE boutiques, outlets, and shop-in-shop locations achieve maximum operational effectiveness and efficiency, permitting the sales team, in turn, to deliver a seamless and satisfying customer experience. The Director – detail-oriented, results driven, with a high aptitude for logistics – ensures policies and procedures are timely and properly executed in the stores, actively identifies and implements process improvements, and generally serves as a model of operational excellence for the entire Retail Division. Position requires work on weekends, evenings, and holidays, and a willingness to travel.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Oversee team of in-store operations personnel (or liaise with Store Managers in stores without operations teams) responsible for executing Company policies and procedures on a variety of operational matters, including:
- opening and closing protocols
- inventory management (e.g., receiving, transfers, consolidations, shipping, tagging, inventory adjustments, consignments, RTVs, damages/defects)
- wardrobe allotments and adherence to wardrobe policy
- cash wrap and stock room organization
- supply requests
- store maintenance
- emergency and evacuation plans, and best safety practices
- resolution of IT issues
- Audit store compliance with stock room, cash wrap, and other operational standards.
- Evaluate policies and procedures manuals on an ongoing basis. Propose edits and develop and deploy improvements to processes and systems as needed.
- Manage supply ordering program (e.g., shopping bags, branded supplies); ensure orders align with budget and store P&Ls and all products comply with branding and any regulatory or legal requirements.
- Work with Visual and Merchandising teams to assist in floor set execution.
- Partner with Store Managers and operations team to monitor and analyze business trends, communicating inventory level and assortment needs to Planning and Merchandising to ensure sell-through potential is maximized.
- Oversee all operational aspects of company run nation-wide sample sales (e.g., location set up and break down, staffing, parking, mobile POS, merchandising and transfers).
- Partner with cross-functional corporate teams (Architecture / IT / Warehouse Operations / Merchandising / Finance / HR) to facilitate store openings, remodels, and refreshes with minimal disruption to the business.
- Work with the Architecture group to identify and manage external vendors for cleaning, maintenance, and lighting.
- Monitor maintenance logs for all stores; ensure maintenance tickets are resolved expeditiously and thoroughly.
- Propose modifications to store, case work, and fixture designs that will increase operational efficiency.
INVENTORY CONTROL / LOSS PREVENTION
- Oversee regular inventory counts; monitor and assist with monthly cycle counts.
- Accountable for meeting the Company’s annual shrink goal by, among other things, ensuring store compliance with Loss Prevention standards, conducting Loss Prevention awareness trainings, working with staff to identify and mitigate / eliminate high loss areas within the store, and developing programs to reduce losses.
- Collaborate with IT and Finance to establish and implement protocols for camera placement, alarm system activations and deactivations, and cash pick-up.
- Develop and deploy processes to minimize chargebacks and bounced checks.
PEOPLE MANAGEMENT / TRAINING
- Partner with Human Resources and Store Managers in recruiting, hiring, and retaining Operations staff.
- Conduct initial operational training for new hires in partnership with HR and IT. Continuously train and develop Operations staff, guiding them to mastery of existing and new operational standards.
- Clearly articulate the Company’s expectations regarding operational excellence to all staff. Educate sales teams on any operational matters for which they are accountable in their respective positions.
- Develop stretch assignments for Operations team to leverage, challenge, and engage team.
REQUIRED SKILLS, COMPETENCIES, KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE
SKILLS / COMPETENCIES
- Must be highly organized with an exacting attention to detail
- Strong leadership skills and an ability to build and maintain a collaborative and highly engaged team
- Proactively identifies areas of opportunity and/or change, recommends future actions, and coordinates implementation among various constituencies and across geographies
- Maintains good energy and a positive, can-do attitude at all times
- Effectively sets priorities and manages time and multiple tasks despite unexpected interruptions
- Communicates effectively and professionally before many audiences (e.g., CEO, CFO, store teams, third parties)
- Effectively negotiates and manages external vendors
- Ability to teach, inspire, and lead by example
- Ability to articulate and exemplify brand vision
- Ability to interpret and action on business data
- Minimum 8-10 years’ experience in retail, hospitality, or related field
- Minimum 3+ years serving in a Head of Operations or Director of Retail Operations position
- BA degree or equivalent experience.
James Perse Enterprises, Inc. has successfully introduced its unique take on the Southern California lifestyle to the world. With visionary focus, Perse has expanded the company to include James Perse Standard, James Perse Los Angeles, James Perse Home and James Perse Malibu, each line defined by premium fabrics and Perse's signature designs. James Perse Enterprises, Inc. enters its second decade with the perfect basis for continued global expansion - absolute dedication to its swiftly growing, intensely loyal clientele. At James Perse Enterprises, Inc. we set superior standards for our products and our employees. We seek talented people with diverse backgrounds and experiences who would be assets to our brand. We are seeking responsible, committed, and highly energetic retail professionals with a developed sense of contemporary style and exceptional customer service.
James Perse offers a competitive compensation package. Full-time positions are eligible for Company sponsored benefits.